[Deutsch] [Français] [Español] [Português ]

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nearly a Month...

Wow, I am completely shocked that it has been this long since my last update. While I feel as though so much has happened, it seems like I've only missed a week of updates. I guess I should try and fill you all in on some highlights.

New York was outstanding. Gina flew in and we spent a few days in DC just looking around and checking out the monuments, and then on that Friday drove into New Jersey and took the train into the city. It turns out that it's only 21 dollars round trip from Trenton to NYC, so that was a great deal. Once in NYC, we just had an incredible time. The hotel was only a block away from times square, so we were able to see some cool places and even catch a Broadway show (Guys and Dolls with Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt) all while attending some interesting seminars and meeting some good people. Also fun was stopping at Len's place on the way to Trenton. As I've said, it's been so nice to have someone that close who can act as a friend when I need to just escape for a weekend.

After my NY trip, things sort of started to pick up at work. The last two weeks have just been crazy trying to plan events in Kansas and Nebraska for Mike. Of those events, the only one I'm really worried about so far is taking place at UNL. Everybody that I invited gave me the "ehh" treatment on facebook and only replied with maybe to the event. Hopefully I'll be able to reach out to enough student groups and professors that the turn out won't be disappointing. For those of you reading this who are in Lincoln and have some relation to UNL, feel free to attend. It will be on Tuesday March 24th at 7:00 PM in the Student Union downtown. Ask me for any other details.

For those of you in Lincoln who might be reading this that don't have a relation to the University, never fear, for Mike will also be doing a book signing at Lee Booksellers that Thursday (March 26th) at 7:30 PM. I would really appreciate it if people could go to either (or both) of these events. I'm sure they're going to be fun and interesting, and hey, it really helps me out to have folks show up at events that I coordinate.

On the Lawrence side of things, Mike is going to be at Alice Lieberman's house (754 Sunset Ln.) on March 23rd at 7:00 PM. I'm hoping that this event is going to attract some professors and KDP folk, but the more students there the better. So if you're at KU and reading this, please consider taking some time out of your Monday and showing up.

(plug for events ends here)

While work has been getting busier, I also think that I've been doing a better job at juggling the craziness. Also, I really feel like I've been getting along with folks at the office better as they've gotten to know me more. For example, because it was so nice the other day Adam took me out for ice cream . Yes, that's right, my boss takes out employees for ice cream. Long story short, this is a great job.

Outside of the work realm, I've been keeping busy too. The other day the interns and I went to see a panel on women in politics at the National Archives featuring a few congresswomen and governors. While not all of the participants on the panel said what I wanted to hear (one of the congresswomen didn't seem to know what she was talking about) I thought the discussion was fascinating and inspiring.

Also with the intern group, I've had the chance to meet with various congressmen since I last updated. One of these was Jerry Moran from the KS-01 district. While I may not agree with the man on political issues, I'll be damned if he wasn't charming and amiable. I suppose people like Congressman Moran are important to talk to so that I don't associate everyone of the opposite party with it's more incendiary members (Limbaugh?). Obviously, when he runs for the Senate I'm not going to be voting for him, but I'll definitely not be taking hits at the his personality, and hopefully that kind of attitude will help keep the race focused on the issues and above the petty stuff.

I feel like there is so much I am leaving out, but I can't for the life of me think of anything else to update about right this minute. Hopefully I'll update again soon and try to include anything I forgot to touch on in this entry.

The weather is beautiful here.

I am excited for Spring.

2 Comments:

At March 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few days looking at monuments huh? You mean the one day I got to meet you for lunch and then we suffered attacks from the wind tunnel that is the mall? Hopefully the pretty weather keeps up cause I'm hoping for more real site seeing during Spring Break, though obviously seeing your office and such was grand.

 
At March 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cherry blossoms blooming around the Jefferson memorial is definitly something to take in. Spring in D.C. is beautiful. Wait for summer though...da*n hot and sticky...still very exciting though.

Love you....Aunt Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2008, 2009, Some rights reserved. You may use information here on your own site only if you attribute it and link back to the source. This is a personal site, views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer or other associates.