[Deutsch] [Français] [Español] [Português ]

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not dead...

I am, in fact, still alive.

This last week went by very quickly and the lack of Internet (which we finally have) combined with my sleepiness made me less inclined to find wireless. Now that we finally have it, however, I can update regularly. I expect you to hold me to that.

My intent was to update with everything that I did this last week, but now that I am faced with that daunting task I am unable to think of what I did each and every day. Here are a few things that I did for sure:
  • Went to the national archives. They were incredible. I know that it might sound "lame", but the entire time that I was in line getting ready to check them out, I had a giant knot in my stomach. Just being able to see the actual documents that we've studied for so long in person was one of the best things I've ever done. I was shocked at the good condition of them. Granted, the Declaration of Independence has faded significantly, but the Constitution and Bill of rights are good as new.
  • I have a bit more focused roll here at work. Rather than doing a little bit of everything (I always get a bit of this kind of work...but it's what interns do!) I have been put "in charge" of contacting university groups and college entities that are in cities Mike is traveling to in order to set up events regarding the book. This can range from a book signing to a speaking slot at a conference. It is nice to have a bit more defined role at work.
  • Ate some great Thai food...I believe that peanut curry tofu is one of my new favourites.
Is it sad that those are the three things that come to mind? I'm sure there are many others and as I remember, I'll update.

One thing that has had me really upset is what seems to be the Democrats' inability to keep out of stupid situations. We nearly have 59 seats in the senate, a good hold on the house, and the control of the White House, but we still seem to be having trouble tying our shoes in the morning.

I'm not say that Democrats are infallible or that I think they should be held to a different standard. I'm merely expressing my discontent for what seems to be our ability to get ourselves in trouble.

On the other side of the aisle, however, I have had it up to here with house Republicans ( and the vast majority of the party leaders in general). After the Democrats made their concessions on tax cuts and after President Obama came to the Capitol in order to extend a hand to Republican leaders, not one single member of the republican party could bring themselves to vote yes on the bill. No, they were so busy getting air time with Fox News and publicly ridiculing the Democrats for trying to help people, that they didn't take a second to look at the bigger picture and realize that tax cuts aren't going to do a thing to stimulate the economy.

Pardon the partisan rant.

It has just been on my mind all day.

Political talk aside, however, I have been doing very well. I hope everyone reading this is doing OK and I look forward to hearing from anyone anytime!

More updates will probably come tonight, since I have the web.



Also, for anyone reading this in Lincoln or Lawrence, I just wanted to mention that there is a very real possibility that Mike will be coming to both of those places in late March to do stuff for his book! I'll keep everyone posted, but if it happens then you should all go and bring plenty of friends.

1 Comments:

At February 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

George -
Any chance he's coming down here to Nashville? Maybe to Vanderbilt University? Let me know. I'd love to go and hear him if at all possible.

Aunt Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2008, 2009, Some rights reserved. You may use information here on your own site only if you attribute it and link back to the source. This is a personal site, views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer or other associates.