[Deutsch] [Français] [Español] [Português ]

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

of course...

Two things I forgot to mention.

First, I spent last Thursday morning with Senator Sam Brownback. Given that it was a part of the program I'm here with I was somewhat helpless and had to go. Originally, I was quite upset that I would have to wake up that early to go and spend my time with someone like him. As the morning progressed, however, I was pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I still strongly disagree with nearly everything the man stands for. I was, however, impressed with his strong and steady convictions. When he says he believes in the sanctity of life he means it. He said that while he was opposed to abortion, he hinted that he was also opposed to the death penalty. He even went as far as to say he thought that Guantanamo should have been shut down because we weren't treating those detainees like human beings. We weren't respecting their life. It has been my experience that politicians who use the "right to life" argument tend to suddenly flip views in respect to the death penalty. I actually believe that Senator Brownback, on the other hand, believes what he says and knows what he believes.

Furthermore, he ended our little meet and greet with a little talk on head and heart. While the subject might sound contrite or overly sentimental, I actually could not agree with him more. He said that if there was one thing we could take away from him, he would have it be that we do our best to develop not just a sharp mind, but a moral compass. Without this compass, he said, we could be the smartest person in the room but it wouldn't matter. While my moral compass tends to point in the opposite direction of his the majority of the time, I think that this is one of the most important things in politics. I can argue with people and spout facts until my voice is gone, but when it comes down to it there are certain things that I believe because they are just right. I know that not everyone will agree with me, but I believe that certain aspects of certain things should operate one way or another because it is the just thing to do.

The government should look out for the poor, the underprivileged, and the weak.

Everybody, regardless of sex, gender, colour, or orientation should be allowed to live what life they choose free from persecution, harrasment, or judgment.

No one should ever have to feel as though the government is looking over their shoulder when they go to the library and check out a book.

No child should ever have to go to the hospital, only to be turned away because their parents can't afford insurance.

In my world, these are not opinions. They are axioms.

Secondly, the interns were all able to meet with Congressman Dennis Moore this morning for coffee. I have always like Congressman Moore. He is a funny, genuine guy who seems to care about his constituents more than a political label. Granted, he's a blue dog and we differ on some fiscal issues, but I think he really does what he thinks is best and tries to keep an eye out for the little guy.

It is nice to have Internet.

More later, I'm sure.

3 Comments:

At February 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhhh......Brownback? respects life?....no.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/brownback.guantanamo/
-sena

 
At February 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

more...
http://www.democracynow.org/2006/8/15/christians_united_for_israel_new_christian

 
At February 4, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha thank you sena. That would fit more of the Brownback mold. I was merely going off of what he had said that day. Like I said, the guy is still way way off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2008, 2009, Some rights reserved. You may use information here on your own site only if you attribute it and link back to the source. This is a personal site, views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer or other associates.