[Deutsch] [Français] [Español] [Português ]

Monday, January 19, 2009

tonight was...

incredible!

So let me back track here first. I apologize, again, that I am so terrible about daily updates. I assure you that once interwebs are installed in my home it'll become exponentially easier to get on a regular schedule about this.

Friday:
Friday was , for the most part, very chill. I had a light load at work and was able to leave around 5. Getting home this early, of course, meant that I was tired starting even earlier than usual...so the majority of the night was spent just kind of putzing around and (if I recall correctly) sitting around while talking to other intern folk. I don't know when it happened, but my apartment became the happening place to be.

Saturday:
I woke up relatively early for a Saturday (I'm sure many would still see waking up by 11 as a leisurely morning...). Len decided to come into town and hang out for a while, which made me really happy. Not only did he get here, drop off a chair, bring me groceries, and chill, but he then proceeded to take me to IKEA to get some glasses and a lamp. It was pretty great. I really enjoy having him so close because even more than just having 'family' near by, it's like I have a friend who I can hang out with. We just sat and talked and had a grand ol' time!

He also let me drive his Audi, which was incredible. I want a car like that....now.

Sunday:
So, tonight was simply incredible. To start off the day, I went with Rachel, Jacque, and Jacque's brother's girlfriend who is staying with us until the inauguration, to an outdoor market this morning. They had food, clothes, paintings...you name it! Finally, once we got too cold, we stepped into a tavern and had some brunch.

After an amazing grilled chicken sandwich with blue cheese on it, we wandered down to the mall to check out the sights.

Stupid me forgot that today was the day of the enormous concert that was going on down there. So we wander in and I'm thinking to myself, what the hell are all of these people doing down here today? And then I turn around, see a jumbotron and think "Hey...that's John Mellencamp!". We ended up seeing Mary J. Blige, Steve Carrell, Jamie Foxx, Bon Jovi and James Taylor too! Rachel and I then headed back to the metro to hang out at home before tonight.

What was tonight you ask?

I got to go to the "declare yourself" inaugural ball! I'm not sure if any of you are remember the campaign, but it was the one that had ads of Jessica Alba with tape over her mouth saying that only you could silence your voice. Anyway, this event, which was held in a tiny hotel ballroom, was hosted by Jessica Alba, had Jamie Foxx speaking, and performances by Maroon 5, John Legend, and Samantha Ronson. Also, Hayden Panetierre showed up and so did Lindsay Lohan. All in all it was an outstandingly fun evening, given that I was about 25 feet away from all of these people. Apparently Ben Aflek was there somewhere too, as was Sarah Silverman. Honestly, none of this is meant to sound "braggish", I'm just still really excited about the whole thing, and wanted to make sure I wrote about it while it was fresh!

Anyway, that was my night. I also finally got tickets to the swearing in ceremony on Tuesday, so I'll try to take pictures and post them on here for everyone to see. I have a few more to put up, so expect a picture post soon!

And like I said...one the internet is installed, please expect lengthier wordier more involved posts. These blurbs are just to keep it updated!

Hope all is well, and I miss people very much!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 19, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey George,

I was in Philadelphia's 30th Street train station on Friday night on my way home from NYC. The security was massive. I'm sure you'll get used to it in DC but for Philly, seeing so many cops in one spot is really unusual. I wish I could make it. I've only been to one inauguration and had the time of my life, and I wasn't even involved in politics. I watched if from a balcony of a lawyer's office across from the Treasury building. Wild seeing all the snipers sweeping the crowd.

Have fun George.

Kurt

 
At January 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey George...

DC is a happening place. I lived in Rockville for about a year and worked in Bethesda. Some really cool music venues all over the various parts of town. You'll have to go check out Adams Morgan. Best spot for a variety of authentic food from almost any country. Great spots for Ethiopian, Mexican (my favorites).

Love you -
Aunt Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2008, 2009, Some rights reserved. You may use information here on your own site only if you attribute it and link back to the source. This is a personal site, views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer or other associates.