[Deutsch] [Français] [Español] [Português ]

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

On da' road

Thanks to the glorious invention of wireless cards I am able to be online whilst my mother is driving. And it is awesome. So far the drive has been fine. Granted we've only been at it now for a couple of hours, but I'm sure it'll be fine. It's been a bit stressful I suppose with so many semis being crazy...but oh well.

In the political realm, I have been rather pleased lately. I know that there has been worry among left/liberal/progressive democrats (who I identify with) about President elect Obama's cabinet picks thus far in regard to their centrist nature. I do believe that a few of these picks have been sub par, along with the choice of Rev. Rick Warren to do the invocation at the inauguration. I also believe, however, that some folks who have been critical of the transition team have ignored the good parts.

We have a pretty damn good team lined up for the environment and energy

We have an openly gay official leading an office

Again, this doesn't mean that all of the other choices were stellar...but it isn't as though he appointed a bunch of Bush lackeys in the name of 'bipartisanship'. I am confident that on Jan.20 things will start getting done.

One other thing that I had been worried about was the back burner effect I was seeing at the end of the general election. This entire time we had heard Barack Obama discussing the many things he wanted to do once elected and to be honest I believed him and still do. I think he is a genuine and honest man who wants true progressive change for this country. Right before the election, however, the economy went bonkers (...yes...that is the best adjective for it) and all of a sudden that was the number one issue for everyone. So naturally, I was concerned that any other issues would get ignored until the economy was put back together.

Needless to say I was relieved and excited to see that once the 111th congress was in session yesterday, The first two bills introduced were on women's pay! Granted when one is discussing fair pay it obviously affects the economy, but to have the first two bills introduced be women's issues is wonderful. I haven't read the bills in their entirety yet, but given what I've seen of them they are fairly helpful pieces of legislation! The first attempts to counter the ridiculous precident set in the Ledbetter case, and the second just seems to fight for stronger enforcement of equal pay laws and tries to close some legal loopholes. I know that the first of these bills had been introduced in 2008 and was defeated by republicans but its nice to see that perhaps it can finally be enacted (the republicans claimed that it would cause too many 'frivolous' lawsuits...apparently taking time away that women could be making them sammiches).

All I'm getting at here with this long rant (it's helping pass the time!) is that perhaps the outlook for Jan.20 and onward isn't as bleak as some would have you think. I truly believe that this may be the time for broad sweeping change to occur...now I just hope that congress agrees with me...

I might post again on this drive given how much longer we have. I'm sure you're all just on the edge of your seats waiting...

1 Comments:

At January 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D000000000000000000000000000000D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2008, 2009, Some rights reserved. You may use information here on your own site only if you attribute it and link back to the source. This is a personal site, views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer or other associates.